Wednesday, February 6, 2013

I Need a "View Appreciation Moment" aka VAM


My trail name is Tortuga, Spanish for tortoise, because I'm that slow. It doesn't help that I have short legs at five feet not-even-two-inches tall and my trail partner was six-one. Living in Yosemite, I quickly learned that all good hikes go STRAIGHT UP. That's what happens when you live in a valley.  But man were those some of the best hikes ever.

We often would work it out with our friends to get the same two days off and backpack together.  It wouldn't take long for the eight of us twenty-somethings to start catch phrases that stuck and VAM was one of them.

It worked like this:

We'd be hiking for a while and hit an especially tough part. Maybe it was steep or maybe there were rocky steps to climb and you'd hear....
"Woooo weeeee!!! Would you look at THAT!" pant pant pant
We'd all stop.
What?
"That there is a View Appreciation Moment if I ever saw one!" pant pant pant
What? It's the same mountain (waterfall, rock formation, whatever) we've been looking at for the last half hour.
"Yes, but right now..." pant pant pant "It just needs the respect it deserves. I need to stop and appreciate it."
Ahhhhhhh you're just tired and need to catch your breath!

That was it. Any time one of us got tired and needed a rest, we called a VAM.

I need to call a VAM on my rocks in a jar. I started with two and added a couple more by the end of January.  Daily Bible reading (check), Quiet Time with God (check), Writing More (check), Register for Speaker Conference (check) Eating for Health and Energy (check), Focused Time with the kids (check), Planned Date Nights with Husband (check) Cleaning the house (not a full check but better than before), Working on Audition (check) Now I'm finding myself needing to catch my breath.

And that's O.K.  The work I've been doing just needs the respect it deserves. I think I'll stop and appreciate it.

That doesn't mean I stop doing the things I've built into my daily schedule.  I think I've reached a plateau and won't be adding anything new until I catch my breath. I can tell if I add anything more, it will cause stress, not joy.  Once I have found my stride with what I am currently doing, then I'll add more.

Have you found balance in working on your goals? Are you doing too little or too much? What do you do to appreciate the work you have done?

No comments:

Post a Comment